Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Nawras Vs. Oman Mobile

So this subject is a bit overdue...big deal

I am only writing about it because I wanna tell you about my experience.

Up until just under a week ago I was a subscriber to Oman Mobile and their over payed package (45bzs/peak - 35 bzs/off peak). That set my bills two months in a row to mountainous figures...and being unemployed and all I had to watch my payments. So I decided, after a long long debate with myself with the advantages that Nawras could bring to me in terms of bills, services, and friendliness not to mention competitiveness, to switch.

So, I did.

But let me tell ya that the story did not end happily ever after when I sumbitted my application to the Nawras staff at the Al Araimi Complex. Sure, they were more than friendly and giving me advice and as much information as they had. But dare I say that I regret the switch? Never.

I had to wait for 4 hours to get my SIM card activated (and it was, to the exact second). Except that the man at the Araimi counter told me it would take a maximum of 3 hours and not 4 to do so. I mean, get your act together.

Settings, as they advertised in their rather small and convenient booklets which comes along with your SIM card, are sent at that very same hour (i.e.:4 hours after purchase).

You only get charged 19bzs per minute (peak/off peak) if you're calling someone within the Nawras network and if those number of minutes -accumalated - extend beyond the 5 minute rate. The same rule applies if you're calling an OmanTel fixed line number, too. Whereas if you're calling an Oman Mobile number the rate will be 38bzs per minute - flat.

The only mis-haps that I seem to find with the Nawras network is the fact if you're trying to call someone you almost always get a "network busy" signal. And if you're a fan of MMS through GPRS you almost never get your MMS through, and if you have a delivery message enabled you will see in your reports in the message tab saying: 'Failed'.

Other than that, I guess I'm cool with them.

Give them time and they'll get their things sorted out once and for all. I mean, look at the trouble we have had with Oman Mobile. So we might as well give these people a chance.

My verdict of Nawras would be a 7/10.

0 comments: