Monday, January 02, 2006

Tid Bits

There's been a few things that have occurred today that caught my attention.

First of all, H.E. Minister of National Economy Mr. Abdul Nabi Macki is to announce the largest deficit in Oman's history in 35 years; a whopping 650 million Omani Rials. And I am thinking where is all our money going? I mean, when we had the annual budget had a 500 million US Dollar deficit, everyone in the country panicked. Because crude prices were down to $9 to the barrel. And we were barely selling them. Plus, the started introducing different types of taxes and fees to the public. Everyone thought that the government was surely to start to implement some sort of salary tax above what the social services take from us back then. But what's stopping that to happen now? Our oil production has been declining in the last 4 years, yet, we are still being assured that it will arrise again to reach at least 827,000 barrels a day. Some tough times ahead for us.

Another thing that got my attention was that one the bloggers who I used to stumble by their blog has somehow - and I don't know whether the act was intentional or otherwise - deleted it totally from the blogosphere. Which is quite a shame, really. Her postings, although few, were certainly of high quality and showed her point of view over things in life in the image of random thoughts, and certainly there was the occasional posting of her day-to-day diary. Tia and her blog will surely be missed from my side. I do hope that whatever she has as her goal now in terms of accomplishment that she will surely achieve it.

I was thinking of posting something that has to do with the politics of the country, but then reconsidered because I don't have the knowledge that I need to make a sustainable arguement. Maybe some day I will. Who knows?

On a last note, theweek will be publishing my article in this week's issue (finally!). So be on the lookout for it and let me know what you think about it once you do get to read it.

0 comments: