Sunday, November 26, 2006

'clean it up yourself' day

What is the appropriate way to throw away trash?

To put it in the rubbish can, right?

Apparently, Omanis have not learnt that concept just yet.

They think they can just throw away their rubbish anywhere they like because they know in the end that some poor foreign worker on a wage of 80 Rials a month is going to pick it up later on afterwards.

I'd like to see how that concept is immediately turned around once that person gets home. And why? Because their parents or whoever will come down so hard on them about the whole 'cleanliness is close to Godliness' thing.

I can't even believe how Muscat got voted as the cleanest city in the world just a few years ago. Who voted on that retarded questionnaire? The tourists who only get to see the tourist sites but are not taken anywhere near the poor areas where the real people live with their trash everywhere? Or the beaches that are now growing fungus off a Dog's poop when it clearly shows that you're not allowed to walk them there? Or at the '5 star' coffeeshops such as Starbucks; where you find tons of cigarette leftovers dumped into the planted areas in front of the cafe?

I'm not exactly saying Muscat is the dirtiest place in the world, but it's not the cleanest either. I'd like to see one day that Muscat Muncipality would reserve it as a 'clean it up yourself' day.

Now, that - would be a killer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many Omanis don't throw garbage on the streets and FYI i know many people who don't but the way you have put that was so unfair,moreover, Muscat is indeed a very clean city from my own experience visiting many places in the world.
it is well known who has most dogs and others who throw garbage in the streets, it is not a secret that a quarter of the population are expats and I think they were not sent from heaven.
It is so sickining to hear such comments that are obviously not too constructive.

Sleepless In Muscat said...

See.. this is the reason why I hate people leaving anonymous comments on my blog because they're much too afraid to be known for what they're saying. You want to be clear and vigilant on what you say? Put your name on it so everyone knows you are.

As for your silly billy comment - all I can say is that you have hardly been to any of the tourist sites, beaches, forts, and cafe's around most of Oman to know how the trash is dealt with to be saying that 'many Omanis don't throw garbage on the streets'.

I mean, where have you been living? Besides the confines of your own home? Go around, go to Nizwa, Wadi Abyadh, Shatti Qurum, Qurum, Ruwi, all the major places - and you will see what I mean.

And do me a favor - the next time you come in to comment on my blog come in with a name-tag.

Anonymous said...

huh you are quite full of yourself, appearently all what you are good at is to talk shit about Oman and before I tell you who am I, you tell me who you are and FYI I've never been confined in my home, It is you who is searching for mistakes to trigger all that crap out of you.

Sleepless In Muscat said...

I'm sorry.. did you want to be given the Oscar for the world's worst commenter?

Almost everyone on this blog knows who I really am because they correspond with me on my email or know me from my articles in the TimesofOman.com columnists section.

But obviously, you believe the sole entity of this universe that everything must revolve around you and what you say must go or off with their head.

Well, queenie - I'd love to stay and chat with you. But I have much more important things to be done in this world than waste my time on people such as you.

Oh and when I say confined in your own home, it literally means that you are so narrow minded that you only go to the tailor or meet your friends for a frappuchino at 2nd cup to do diddly squat about nothing but backstab every single person you've know in your entire existence. If you can call it that, at all.

One last thing: if you disapprove so much of my posts why do you come here to read them at all. Not unless - no.. it can't be. Not unless .. yes! You're a total hyporcrite!

Go open your own damn blog and fight me there instead of pissing on my parade. Ok, princess?

Kisses for now.