Thursday, December 21, 2006

humpty dumpty and the kings army

I was once told way back when I was young never to talk publicly about three different things because all they would do is create problems and tension for me and for who surrounds me. Those three topics were; religion; politics and finances.

At the time I took the advice to protect myself from being in harm's way and so to speak, it worked a great deal for me to some extent. But as I grew older, I began to realize that having to shut your mouth about what goes in your own country in those specific topics is just truly a crime. Because you're not voicing out your concern for the better welfare of the country. I was told that it was wrong and that I could get arrested one day for being so outspoken about such indecently undiscussed topics in our society and community. That may be the case to come one day; but, so help me, I will do what I think is right because I can't stand seeing something wrong happening in front of me and not having to discuss it out loud through this blog or my small circle of friends.

Like, for instance, last year when the rains hit hard on Muscat again but on a specific place called Al Amerat, His Majesty Sultan Qaboos had ordered to rebuild the houses that were infected by the bad rains. But you see none of that this year. Why is that? I mean, I know His Majesty is the leader of the country and that he has a great deal to do every single day of his life, but we could use a little help here after the rains on Thursday.

There was a Royal Decree by His Majesty to raise all government employees salaries by 15% beginning the 1st of January, 2007. But I have two questions to that; one of them would be: if the social services already deduct 6% from an employees salary and the salary increase is 15%, then effectively the salary increase would only be at 9%. So what gives? And another question; what about the private sector employees who work twice as hard as any lazy public sector employee on a desk and work 6 sometimes a whole week instead of 5 days a week. Why shouldn't there be a salary increase for them as well? Once again, there is an equality issue here that needs attending to.

And if I had to start about religion, good God, I wouldn't be finished if I was typing this post from now until sunrise. So I am going to leave this to the open minds to lay it out for themselves to talk about to themselves.

And just so that you all know, I am not afraid one bit of saying my true name here. But it seems that many just don't care about what I write as they only read it through as passersby, so I compliment them with my nickname.

Happy hunting, boys and girls.

5 comments:

Abdullah Al-Bahrani said...

Sleepless,
I have come to accept that our opinions are very different. I can’t change your mind and you can’t change mine. However, I will continue to read your posts as I believe your opinion still matters.
In regards to the rains, give it time, I don’t think anyone knows the exact level of damage thus far. I don’t think you want anyone to be left out?!
In regards to the salary increase for the public service, well 15% is a huge increase. The 6% is for Social Security and ret. Accounts. You can’t ask that it also be reduced?! What keeps people alive after the working days?
I would love to say that we can provide equality and efficiency, but there is a trade off. If we give to everyone equally, then we run the risk of limiting the incentives of risks and rewards.
Good luck with your efforts, however I do recommend studying the topic in more detail before asking for things to change. Social policy is more complicated than just giving people what they want!

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Per Your Request:

Firstly; wow - that has to be the longest comment you have ever left on my blog.

Secondly; I have accepted too, that our opinions differ and that we not come to an understanding in everything. As I do read yours from time to time to see what your side of the world looks like to you from your point of view.

Thirdly; the damage caused was the after effects of 14 people dying, several missing, and many injured and thousands if not millions or Omani Rials worth of losses in businesses. Thats what the damage report so far. I don't think we should wait a minute longer, don't you?

Fourthly; this salary increase may be 'huge' but it's mostly due to the increase of inflation in the country which I think is a tad above 5% - somebody correct me if I am wrong - and the government refuses to release this figure to anyone for several reasons. The inflation has causes price hikes like crazy. And that salary increase BARELY covers it. So, I think I have a right to complain about this issue.

Fifthly; I never said I wanted to give everyone what they all needed - that would be spoon feeding and life would have no taste by then, but making it easier is something doable is it not?

Abdullah Al-Bahrani said...

I agree with you that Economic/social indicators need to be public records.
Seeing that most omanis have access to necessities and the govt provides to them more than what the citizens of the western world receive, I would say that needs are provided quite easily. It doesnt get any easier than that.
I also assume that inflation is higher, but only think that housing prices have increased more than 5%. But as you said we dont have the numbers and the true number might be higher or lower than that.

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Per Your Request:

The government in Oman provides no help in plantation processes except for the know-how and the rest is up to the market and sellers & buyers.

The prices of houses have risen to 4 times of that it was in less than 3 years the biggest factor is due to letting GCC nationals come in and join the competition of buying land and villas for the sake of businesses.

abu nadir said...

i agree with mr sleepless. The 15% increase in salary is more or less very minute repair to the huge crises we are facing. Take for example the items in groceries are making us all nervous and dismay. I heard once in radio FM that commodities increase ranges from 5 - 17% in various items. But if we are honest enough to realise that the true increase is about 20-40% in all items. Say for example a tray of eggs now costs RO 1.700 which few months ago it was 950 baizas so it was simply 90%. In particular house rent now cost me 40% and the owner hinted me for another increase for the next year. So I am as sleepless and restless as you.

I hope that the government can do some thing to fix this problems not in a cosmetic way but for real.

A couple of times I heard that expats should leave soon to be replaced by Omanis. Well and good that would happen anyway but for honestly sake right now we are need food, clothings,and other basic needs now not tomorrow.

Abu Nadir