Tuesday, February 21, 2006

the icky icky shake

I thought I made it clear to myself a long time back that I would no longer need the assistance of anyone in matters of my unknown future and what preceeds it. But that was a joke. I had only started that perhaps a few weeks ago.

And it was something that I had been holding on to as a secret until everything became clear.

And now that I am past that stage now - even though with the fact that things haven't cleared up for me in terms of becoming any easier - I still have to blurt it all out.

A few weeks ago, I started re-applying to different companies with different goals in sight. I had sent out CVs enclosed with cover letters, certificates and all to almost 9 companies. Companies like Oman Airports Management Company (O.A.M.C.); Apex Printing and Publishing; National Bank of Oman; Oman Arab Cinema Company, the Sultan Qaboos University, the Times of Oman to name but a few. Others which don't come to mind, right now.

Out of these 9 companies, only two had replied to me after 2 weeks a period. The Oman Arab Cinema Company, which is owned by Jawad Sultan Enterprises and the Sultan Qaboos University. The Jawad Sultan Group was my goal because I was targetting their Public Relations and Marketing department in their cinemas (i.e.: Shatti Plaza and Al Nasr Cinema). It was a nice interview and all with the Executive Manager, which, then he requested that I do a contribution report on what can be improved in both cinemas, to which I only happily agreed and submitted only a few days back (Friday to be specific) through email as he wanted. So far, I have given up on a second reply from the Group.

The Sultan Qaboos University is a whole different issue, though. I was approached in the beginning to work in the position of a local campus article editor/translator for the University's newsletter; the Horizon. I turned it down in the beginning because I thought it didn't appeal to me that much, plus I am not that good of a translator (I have trouble myself, sometimes, translating for my own purposes). Nevertheless, I retracted my decline by calling the person who approached me, and told him that if the offer still stands I am very much interested - and I was since I had nothing else coming my way. This lead to having a meeting with the Editor-in-Chief some two days ago only to tell me that the position was no longer vacant. Pissed off as I was, I kept it in, thanked the man, and left to the man who had approached me in the first place to tell him of what had occurred. He assured me that his boss had gotten things mixed up and promised to look into the matter and to have an answer as soon as possible. Which, he did. Only to tell me that his boss told him that there really is no vacancy but there is a possibility to squeeze someone in like me to contribute like the University students do - only for peanuts, on a part time basis and for one month only. Then I am out.

Left with no choice; I have to take this only option. Perhaps it would lead me to elsewhere. If it doesn't, then at least it would fix a certain financial crisis that I am upon right now.

That, ladies and gentlemen is just the surface of what has been going on with me and why I haven't been contributing as positively as I used to in the past in this here blog of mine.

Tomorrow I am placing a call to take that position and see where destiny leads me to.

I know it won't lead me to the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, but I just hope that it's somewhere a lot better than where here is.

So, here's to destiny then.

2 comments:

One Nine Seven One said...

good luck bro. your new dawn is nearly here.

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Yahya: if only that were true, man. If only it were true..

mimi: thanks, sweets. I hope so, too