Sunday, February 26, 2006

Prevention of Harm


I hate being forced into a situation whereby I find myself that I can't do a thing about it. I find myself obligated to do something even if that means that I would get into trouble.

What can I do? I was born with it.

Ever since I was a child it was something eery to me to see something wrong and just stay zipped about it until someone else does something about it. So why don't I do something about it, then?

Seriously, people. Think about it.

I mean, we see people all our lives doing things are wrong, against the law or just plain illogical. And what do we 'law-abiding' citizens do? Absolutely nothing! That's what! If ever there was a time to start making things right, then the time would be now while you're still alive. And not at the very last days of your life where you ask God for fogiveness. And not while you're sick and you think that doing good would probably make God lift whatever it is he is examining you with. Granted that that is another case altogether.

But point is this: if everyone in the world turned their face whenever they saw something happening right in front of them then we would never progress. Right?

You can all say I complain so much on this blog about this, that, or anything else in this country of ours. But I see it from a different point of view. I love Oman. And I am proud to be Omani, too. And it is that love that pushes me to do such things in order to make things better.

There is a Hadith, I believe, that - loosely translated - means, whenever you prevent harm in someone else's way, you gain a sadaqa or a blessing from God (I think that's how it translates, please correct me if I am wrong). And it is in that sense that we must look into making things progress here in Oman.

Removing harm in someone else's way doesn't neccessarily mean that you push aside a rock or a tree that is blocking the road. It goes further beyond that meaning. It means also making things go faster of tying up the knots in the beauricratic system within the government infrastructure so that things may run much more smoothly. It means that we need to make better roads for the country's increasing demand in purchasing automobiles. It also means that we are to respect each other in our society in fashion, speech, and valor.

The country's officials are trying their best to do what is right in their opinion. But they also need the feedback from us citizens to follow up on the progress that their plans are making on the face of reality.

What say you?

0 comments: