Wednesday, January 10, 2007

chew on this

  • After 4 months of waiting, OmanTel - our beloved ISP - has finally delivered their ADSL service to me. And I am the lucky one; some people have been waiting a whole year and still haven't gotten theirs yet. And here's the cracker; they're not offering anymore ADSL connections because they have ran out of space in their exchanges and in the long run are waiting until they install the extra 100,000 lines to facilitate the demand. Talk about long-term planning.
  • People in Oman don't respect the law, they're only afraid of it. For example, if there's no police around on a traffic signal that clearly has a no U-turn sign on it's island, drivers will take the turn, unless there is a police car nearby. There is no respect at all for the least demanding laws like a no-entry sign, or pedestrian crossings. It's no wonder Oman has such a high road-fatality rate.
  • The development course that the Sultanate of Oman is going through, is not just in the physical sense by implementing new laws but in the mental sense, too. Many people in Oman are very narrow minded mainly because of traditional values that camouflage the truth that runs through. I mean, who in the world marries their own sister?
  • As long as people in Oman still have low salaries (no matter how many times the government may publish an enormously ridiculous figure of 1,000 Omani Rials of the average salary that the Omani gets over a month's period), they will always rob, cheat, drink, and do the worst atrocities that we fear ourselves - and I speak for myself, here - from doing to ourselves. That's why it's called the ripple effect; anything that happens has a consequence on everything else that surrounds us (or was that the butterfly effect?).
  • I never imagined myself to be of 30 years old one day. Then again, I can't imagine myself being of 50 years old, either. But, it goes to show that age is just a number and that the number of years that pass you by should not be measured by how old you are but rather what you have accomplished so far. And by that philosophy, I have failed tremendously. On the other hand, I have hope, that I will become a lot better in what I know to do. Like, not failing.

6 comments:

muscati said...

Has the government ever claimed that the average salary for Omanis is 1000 rials?

Anonymous said...

Who Married their own sister?
On the other hand I totally agree with your comment about the fear of the law in oman.

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Muscati:

I read a long time back in one of the reports in a local newspaper that the average salary of Omani was just that figure.

I apologize if I don't have the link or reference.

Per Your Request:

There is a growing epademic in the interior regions of the Sultanate of Oman which is being kept under a tight lid of whereby the concept 'you are more worthy of the plant that you grow in your own garden' is practiced. Hence, the question here isn't 'who' but rather 'why'.

Anonymous said...

Industries are coming up, economy is booming, but Internet connectivity (read speed) is abysmal. Talk of doing business online, payment gateways et all!

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Kishor:

I didn't quite understand your comment.

Are you asking me to write about how businesses are booming in Oman or are you presenting your opinion on the issue to counter my post?

Either way, this blog is here to mainly present Oman in a way that points out the issues that are left out by authorities and certain societal figures; it also represents my opinion on these issues.

If you're looking for business topics I suggest you look into BizzWhizzDubai's blog (link is in the right hand sidebar).

Sorry I couldn't help you out.

Anonymous said...

Oops...I was commenting on Omantel's Net connectivity :)