Monday, March 20, 2006

Blogging Shame

A week has gone by since I announced the opportunity for Omani bloggers nationwide to come forth and present themselves to the society through a radio interview with a local announcer from the English FM service.

While some of you I would understand that you find your blogs a bit too personal to go forward with such a project, what about the rest of you lot? People have been calling for bloggers' meetings, gatherings and such. Yet, you sit back and make it seem like you were a deaf human being in a wedding (as the Arab proverb would go).

This isn't about popularity. Nor is it about embarrassing yourself. By logging onto a service such Blogger, you knowingly acknowledge your writing skills that you wish to entertain, hone, and develop though this small cyberspace that is reserved in your name/nickname.

If you didn't want to be known in the 1st place, then you shouldn't have pursued the idea of going through with it (i.e.: obtaining a blog address for yourself) in the beginning.

I will be forced - should I get no positive answers by this Saturday - to embarass myself and tell the person in name, who I might add was a bit reluctant to interviewing people who had online opinions about life, their surroundings and perspectives of the society and other norms of the community around us; to cancel the whole thing.

I am seriously ashamed that you should even call yourself bloggers since you wish to have an effect on your readers and would pass out on this chance.

5 comments:

muscati said...

Dude, I got nothing against a blog meet. Not that anyone has actually invited me to one or even planned one. I've met with other Omani bloggers a couple of times. And next time anyone plans another I'd probably go so long as I'm free at the time.

But to be interviewed on the air by one of the very reasons why I don't listen to Oman FM? No thanks.

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Muscati:

everyone has to do something they don't like at some point in life to achieve their own set of goals. In your case, you don't like the radio announcers voice/accent and her style of preparing for the interview. That being said, I think you should look beyond that should you be looking at the picture: getting the idea of blogging into the Omani society and familiarizing the community with us.

Calkoon:

I know that too well, which is why I said in the beginning that there are those who I understand their situation in why they don't come forward with their blogs.

This is just about topic based blogs. It's about any blogs. There are several uses for a blog and more beyond what anyone would use for nowadays. Let it be a diary, topic based, or a small startup company.

I am pissed off because, as I had explained to Muscati earlier on, that it took me a long time to convince the announcer to talk about the issue, I would have though others would appreciate it and take the chance. Because like I said, the idea of blogging isn't that popular in Oman and surfacing the topic in an open interview with a few Omani bloggers would have helped to familiarize the people with the idea and the concept of the whole blogging issue.

. said...

if you really want to familiarize the blog thing to the poeple, first it should not be on OMAN FM, most people don't even know much english to listen to it, maybe it should be on Alshabab Radio Station. And I am not interested because I never attend any bloggers meeting, and I am not very social person, plus i am not home.

Salam..

Sleepless In Muscat said...

X:

That is, by far, the lamest excuse I have ever gotten for not going to a blog meeting/interview: I'm not sociable, I don't like meetings, I don't like the Oman English FM.

Instead of beating around the bush with the subject - just say it: I don't want to participate. Period.

Your social behavior doesn't interest me in the least. I gave you people an opportunity on a silver platter. The least you should do is show some appreciation by saying; thanks but not thanks.

With that being said; I close this subject once and for all.

. said...

If you think that's the lamest execuse, then I think you did not really see the whole picture. Salam.