Sunday, March 26, 2006

Happiness is..

A good friend of mine told me once that he had attended a relegious lecture in our local mosque on a very interesting subject; happiness.

He said that the lecturer got through to the people by making a point about what happiness really is and what we think it is.

Basically, the lecturer said that many of us think that happiness is the moment where we do our part and achieve as much as we can in our lives because of deviding circumstances. And that our bliss in that situation is because we got as far as we thought we could go without aspiration.

But truth to be told, happiness is accomplished in the sense of aspiring to our lifetime goals and achieving them, no matter what the obstacles. Because only then will we taste the fruits of our labor.

At that point I remembered this slight verse from a song that goes 'to taste the highs we've got to go through our lows first'. Which made perfect sense to me.

But what if we aspire and work towards our goals, and don't achieve them - what then?

6 comments:

MJ said...

But does that mean that we won't be happy unless we accomplish our goals? what about when we are working toward that?

If, for example, my goal is to graduate. Then shouldn't I be happy when i'm studying? After every exam I pass, homework I do, because all that is just part of the walk toward that goal.

Happiness might be in accomplishing our goals, but it's also a state of mind. It's enjoying everything around you, and finding beauty in it.

I think everyone find happiness in their own way/things. It's just not only about your goals because what if you didn't get that? does it mean you are to live a sad life?

Stupid midterms, I don't think i'm thinking straight. :)

Sleepless In Muscat said...

MJ:

that could be true also.

but when one works towards their goals and achieves them it is because of their aspirations and that drive towards apex

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali!

Then you dust yourself off and keep going! :)

Happiness is a state of mind - and your quote from the song is correct and very much a part of life!

Thats just the way it is!

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Andromeda:

welcome back! I thought you ditched me! lol

And I agree with you on your statement I have never thought otherwise.

It's just that I wanted to bring in other's opinions as well..

Anonymous said...

Ali:

Ha! You do not get rid of me so easily! :)

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Andromeda:

lol

;o)

That was never my intention..