Friday, March 24, 2006

Blue Ribbon Beauty - II: The Coffee Shop (Again)

This is the second part of Blue Ribbon Beauty that was supposed to be published but is being delayed because circumstances that are out of my hand. Therefore, I am posting it here for you assessment.

I hope you enjoy this one as much as you enjoyed the first part of this two-part short story.

------
She would see him everyday at the same coffee shop

Your brown eyes are always sad
It is why, that I would like to understand

You always sit on your own
Always alone
Sometimes with your friends
Sometimes just your phone

I would like to come up to you and smile
But I am afraid to give it away that it is you, I like

I sit behind you everytime I am there
Listening in to everything you say and do
Wishing you would crack up a joke of yours
Or just do the cute things you would do

He notices her; he wishes she would approach him
Smile
Perhaps even a gesture

But he's depressed already because she ignores him
Bad luck is just his life
Can't really call it that – it's just a matter of pressure
The growing pains of time

It seems such a surprise to see you here
With your great eyes and smiling face
It seems like a nice gesture from fate
To put us here in this position, this place

Night upon night, I think of you
This is the story of my heart, uneventful, yet, true

'til this night is through
I am always thinking of you

Why is it you smile the way you do?
Why is it, your heart, my soul falls to?
Why do I feel like I need to talk to you?
Why is it, this way, we are neighbors to the moon?

And after a few days
A few nights
A few years apart they catch each other's eye
They think of the years and why


Why they ever passed the chance to get close to each other
Why ever think about it for another moment
Why they put themselves in that long tunnel
Why they came out of it as if nothing had happened

And now that life is giving them a second chance
Now that what was past is past
Would they take that chance?
Would they finally understand?

Would you like to sit down and have a chat?

I would like to but I …

Can't…?

Don't get me wrong
It's not that I don't want to
I would love to sit and have a chat with you
But in front of people – I can't – and that's the truth

It's tough as it is trying to find the right person
Than it is to find them and not be to have a conversation with them

Did you know that it's your brown eyes I dream of every night?
Did you know that I try to listen to the wind that blows on the trees wishing it would whisper your name?
Did you know that everytime I see you, my heart misses a beat?
Did you know that when you leave the coffee shop, I would wish for more chances for us to meet?

A tear down the eyes
Slip from depression into life
Share impossible feelings before you're told that you've wasted your time
Thoughts roam and rhyme

Do you know that I think about you everyday?
That it is your smile I daydream about when I stare away?

Lips sealed. Shut
Feelings within, hurt

The definition of life is taken away
When the reason behind it, is so close, yet so far away

Walking away
She tries not to look back
To see him cry silently
Where he would retreat to the dark

I wish I could tell you how much I like you
I wish I could

I wish I could hold your hand
Make you understand
That this situation at hand

Is the reason behind our falling
Our hearts calling
Senses, for some time, frozen
The probability of us ever getting together, is through

I can't forget about you
Even if I wanted to
Even if you asked me to
There's nothing, about it, that I can do

The warmth, the feeling – the passion within
The darkness, the cold – that overwhelms us, to win

Can I at least see you here another time?
Can I at least keep the hope of us to meet for our hearts to intertwine?

Now staring at a glass window

I swear, that's a smile, I see
Won't you say yes for me?

Yes

His heart flew

Yes, I would

His heart soared

Yes, I would love to

He could shout out joy to the world
Turning her head, with a tear still in her eye
He moved over to her and gave her a tissue

To me you are my life
I don't know what I would do without you

With that, she smiled

I wish I could kiss you right now

3 comments:

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Still Ali, isn't it the love that could never be that brings out the greatest poems, and sonnets?

Sometimes depression is our muse and a broken heart can sing the most painfully beautiful tunes.

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira:

I don't understand. Do you mean to say that you were hopeful for this story to end in tears?

:oS

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Thanks, Ella!

You would probably find the first half of it in the February 2006 category in the sidebar on the right.

:o)