Friday, March 03, 2006

The Power of Prayer

I have heard so many times that if you pray that everything you have ever wished for will come true for you. Although, this is could be partially true; could this mean that we don't need to work towards our goals? Does this mean that all we should do is pray for everything we ever wanted and sit back and wait? If this is the meaning, then it's pointless that we should ever look for a job.

Why I am bringing this up is because I saw this advert a couple of times that shows someone who doesn't pray on time and that his life is follow of rocky climibings (in a matter of speaking) of problems and such, and that one day he starts all over again to pray on time that results in everything he ever wanted in his life to become a reality with an ending in Arabic that translates 'Pray and your life will flourish'.

Although I don't pray myself (and I have said this many a times that I am not proud of such a statement) I still believe that this advert somehow carries an inaccurate message to the audience who attends it. I believe that should you work hard enough for your goals - regardless whether you pray or not - that God will give you what you want. But it's the part of praying in a sense of thanking Him that will allow this proseperity to continue. Is it not?

What do you think?

3 comments:

Sleepless In Muscat said...

mimi: exactly what I mean...

I mean it's not like we don't have to be thankful for the life we have and the fact that we're alive (we can elaborate on that further afterwards) but on a factfacing perspective; the seeds you plant is what you shall reap...right?

Anonymous said...

Mmmm a tricky one! I think you and i are pretty much the same ...

You can have faith without praying. I guess it all comes down to faith in who you are, your own beliefs in yourself. Like you, i do not pray to a particular God but i have faith in something. I have faith in who i am, what i do in life and how i treat people. And that for me is enough.

Do you think that by praying to a God people feel better about themselves? Giving them a focus and then inturn radiating that outwards? (so to speak!) This cannot be true of all people who pray - I have met some pretty horrible ones! And likewise i have met some deeply religious people who ommit such a contentment of just being ...

Definitely a tricky one!

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Andromeda: tricky, perhaps..

although you and I differ on one thing..I believe in God but I don't pray..I believe that I should pray but I don't.. I believe that I am a sinner not a saint...And I also believe that one day I would change my way..