Friday, June 23, 2006

where's the justice?

I swear, at some point in time, they are going to have to start implementing a two day weekend for the private sector because it is so exhausting for me and everyone else in our organization to work for 10 hours a day plus a half day on Thursday.

I mean, whats the sense in working for a half day especially when the rest of the country is taking a day off to commence their end of the week retirement?

I remember back when I was really young and I was still in KG that we only had Friday to take off for the end of the week along with my dad. I don't recall when they started implementing the two day weekend - maybe because I wasn't in Oman at that time - but they drove us mad by making us have 7-9 periods of different classes and tons of books to carry on our backs. Now that was slavery.

As I grew up, though, I always thought that the two weekend applied to the entire working sector of the country. So howcome is it, that the sector that works harder, and earns less only gets one day off while the bozos in the air conditioned offices, and beauricratical issues far up their asses sitting for only 7-8 hours a day for 5 days of the week get more holidays, more pensions, more benefits and two days for the weekend?

Where's the justice in that?

3 comments:

Abdullah Al-Bahrani said...

Simply put, the Gov’t has more money to spend than a Private Company. Additionally, a private company is a profit maximizing entity; therefore it will attempt to get the most productivity out of its employees, while always trying to reduce its costs. Therefore employees work more, and earn less!

Sleepless In Muscat said...

per your request:

personally, I would call that slavery.

it is so unjust!

Abdullah Al-Bahrani said...

They are operating with in the laws of the country, in addition to providing compensation to their employees. Slavery is too strong of a word. Maybe Opportunistic, or cheap would best suit.