Saturday, September 30, 2006

Friday

Friday prayers.

Something that I had not attended in a tremendously long time. For reasons in and out of my hand. But today took it upon myself to go and attend it with a friend. Not because of Ramadhan. Not because I feel I owe it to myself towards my religion. But because the road of responsibility starts with the first step towards changing what's within to change what surrounds. Meaning myself, that is.

I have to admit, it felt aqward when I got there. I was asking myself a million and one questions within my head. Was I doing everything right? Was I praying correctly? Was I supposed to do this or not? Things, perhaps, a small child just beginning to know the 'service' would ask their parents. Kind of like a Pinnochio out of Disney cartoon. Only this time, Gipetto was out of the picture and only I was there.

As I started off the prayers, things finally fit into the small easy puzzle. Which is sort of the case with me always. I have to always be in the position to actually understand what to do and finally put the pieces together. I am hoping that this would be the case with 'good' things (something I just thought up whilst typing this away on the keyboard of the laptop) and not anything devastating.

Anyhow..

I'm hoping to repeat the experience next week. I had missed much of the speech at the beginning of prayers this time, so next time I will try to make it on time.

---

Update: It's been officially announced - later to be published in public media - that the Sultanate of Oman has officially made the weekend change from a Thursday & Friday to a Friday & Saturday. Details are still sketchy. Still an interesting development, though.

2 comments:

Jassim said...

Really you should avoid missing Friday Prayers.

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Jassim:

That is what I am attempting to do here.

Id3eeli