Saturday, December 24, 2005

Dad..Dad..Daddio

Some people in Oman think it is so cool to insult. That it is the 'in' thing. If you're not insulting or using insultive language in any context of conversation you have then you are definitely not cool.

I have to admit that I have had my share of this 'cool' period thing, but nothing like this. I used to swear a lot - regrettably. And I found it later on of complete and utter uselessness. You insult someone or something or some group of people - then what?

If you're crude enough to use that kind of language between your friends then you're just embaraassing yourself and your mates by showing what kind of a person you are. Someone who is clearly a psychopath.

I am sharing this all because it has come to my attention lately the wide reference and use of abusive language between younger teenagers, and adults between the age of 18-25 and from either sex.

One time you're sitting down having a nice chat and then all of a sudden you hear loud swear words from out of nowhere coming from a young boy's/girl's foul mouth. And all for what? To describe something? To say something? I am sure that kind of an idea would come out just as clear without the need to use harsh words.

The other day me and a friend of mine were sitting down enjoying the weather at, where else, but starbucks. And then came along a friend of my friend's. We sat down having a little chat from one topic to another and then all of a sudden this person starts using the worst kind of language that I had ever heard. It was totally atrocious. Something that I deeply regretted. I wanted to get up and leave. But it was my place and therefore if anyone is going to get up and leave it should have been him.

To say the least, it is the type of folk we go out with that describes the person which we are and what kind of attitude we have. That, and the environment that surrounds not only externally, but internally, like our families and how we behave and interact with each other.

There should be a short leash on anyone who uses foul language no matter what age group they could belong to. It is a matter of respect to one's self and to the others we gather around; loved ones or otherwise.

0 comments: