Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Don't Laugh

Yes. I got to Penang, alright. And here I was thinking that it was gonna be a breeze. My hotel is like almost an hour or more distance from Penang International Airport.

Before I go any further, word of warning; never book yourself in Penang into a hotel called the City Bayview Hotel in Georgetown: Penang.

The service is the worst. The people there don't deal with you in courtesy. Everytime you bump into one of their staff, you find them try to lure you into a massage session by their 'beautiful and experienced' female staff. Today I tried to find a table for my breakfast and I complained to one of their managers about it and his response to me was: 'Sorry, sir. No place' as he fled the scene into the kitchen.

Stupid people are everywhere. Even here in Penang. I got two calls at 8 & 8:15am from a guy trying to get in touch with another who had the proposed room number. And I shouted into the mouthpiece of the phone that he had the wrong number. Dumbass.

Another thing I noticed is that each of these hotels supposedly think that all their guests like to drink liquor or alcohol, because that's all they stuff their minibars with. And in return the guest has to provide a deposit that should he consume anything or use any of the local/international phone call facilities provided by the hotel, that this amount (around 200 US Dollars) would cover it. I had to repeat myself over and over again that I don't want these 'services' and that I would rather hang on to my money should I need it. And this proved a very valid point in the City Bayview; because it wasn't up to the 4 star level that I had imagined it should be. The last two hotels in Kuala Lumpur (which of were of the same star category) had much better class.

The place that I live in here is a dumpster. I'm sorry to say. Sewers open. Trash everywhere. And even as pathetic as this may sound: no hot water. And the nearest place of decency around is a shopping mall that is about 45 minutes walk away from the hotel and that has only 2 restaurants McDonald's & KFC. And not one grocery in sight. I mean, do these people live on fast food or what?

This has me changing my mind about ever coming back here.

2 comments:

muscati said...

Dude how can you go to Penang and stay in Georgetown instead of in one of the hotels on the beach? Penang is a dump except for a few decent hotels on the beach which are like another 45 minutes away from Georgetown. I think when I went there I stayed in a hotel called Mutiara Beach Resort. It was a really good hotel though I didn't like their beaches down there coz the sand was kinda rough. We took the hotel shuttle to the town a few times to catch movies and do some shopping. They do have a couple decent malls though. The really big mall sucks. It sells mostly fake shit. The smaller malls are better. I think most tourists go to Penang for the beaches and the ppl who stay in the city are businessmen bcz Penang has lots of electronics factories and stuff.

Anyhow, Happy birthday. I assume you're on a flight now on the way back to Oman. Safe trip!

Sleepless In Muscat said...

yeah,well..things happened i guess..

plus i didn't get to choose the hotel in penang this time because malaysia is overcrowded with tourists - thats why..

thanks for your birthday greetings and btw i posting this from KLIA