Thursday, September 08, 2005

Whatever happened to..?

Have you ever felt that when you hear a song or a tune or maybe when you read some poetry here and there of some lyrics that pop off some band that you would relate to it? That you feel as if it talks about you? And how you feel?

I've had that moment for a little while - just a few days - and I don't know why, though.

And it's always been this song, unforunately for me, which, is sung by the Backstreet Boys and it's called Incomplete. Yeah, yeah, yeah. They're a boyband - so what? The lyrics they choose to sing are quite powerfull and at least they don't sing those thumping soundtracks anymore like Everybody (Backstreet's Back) and Get Down. Lol.

These are the lyrics to Incomplete:

Empty spaces fill me up with holes
Distant faces with no place left to go
Without you within me I can't find no rest
Where I'm going is anybody's guess

I tried to go on like I never knew you
I'm awake but my world is half asleep
I pray for this heart to be unbroken
But without you all I'm going to be is
Incomplete

Voices tell me I should carry on
But I am swimming in an ocean all alone
Baby my baby it's written on your face
You still wonder if we made a big mistake

I try to go on like I never knew you
I'm awake but my world is half asleep
I pray for this heart to be unbroken
But without you all I'm going to be is
Incomplete

I don't meant to drag it on
But I can't seem to let you go
I don't wanna make you face this world alone
I wanna let you go (alone)

I try to go on like I never knew you
I'm awake but my world is half asleep
I pray for this heart to be unbroken
But without you all I'm going to be is
Incomplete

Although I understand the situation that I am in right now. That I need to find myself a job in order to be a suitable marriage candidate. More importantly, I believe now that there is more to life than having to look for the love of your life. Sure, they are your other half and all. But that doesn't mean that your life runs on that.

I keep getting people asking me to give them an opinion on they should do on trying to balance their work and emotional turbulence. And I find out that they put themselves way over their heads just to be with the one they love. Neglecting the very issue that they would not be able to support the aftermaths of a married life. The house (or flat); transportation; and expenses. But they're not the only ones to blame on the corner they shove themselves into - in fact most of it lands on the bride's parents having to ask for a maher (which is what you offer to the bride-to-be as a sort of token that you are serious about your relationship; in Islam this is mandatory) that ranges from 1000 to 45,000 Omani Rials which is roughly between $385 and $17,325 ( $1 US = 0.385 Omani Rials)!

Imagine! And they end up borrowing from a bank just to cover that. Not to mention, some families ask that over that sum of money that the husband-to-be buys the woman the latest car; a house; a housemaid and a cellphone including a billed line. I might as well bend over..

Everything that we ever cherished in the past has become so damn materiliastic that it makes me puke. Ladies want jewellery, cash, cars, houseboys, and men are no better - mobiles, laptops, plasma TVs, cars that you can drive with just by a remote control attached to your keychain.

What ever happened to integrity? To honesty? Whatever happened to the voice of reason that would push this community?

Whatever happened to 'love will save the day'?

4 comments:

nomadica said...

someone i know who got married recently was complaining that he got 'nothing' from his in-laws. for me, the fact that he married the woman he loved should have been enough! it's sad but true that many marriages seem to be more like business deals. i know a girl who broke off her engagement because her fiance refused to buy her the (extremely) expensive car she wanted!

Sleepless In Muscat said...

are you kidding me?

a car???

oh my God!

its no wonder this country and other neighborly countries in the region have such a high divorce rate..

..yikes!

Nash said...

Dont worry my friend, when the right girl comes along, you will realise she was worth the wait, good luck man!

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Thanks, Nash..

I really do hope that will all my heart and soul