Sunday, April 02, 2006

Love beyond the grave

I heard about this poem by coincidence while watching an old DVD series of Knight Rider. It's an excellent poem that was written by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861). It's called 'How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Count The Ways..'

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Link: How do I love thee?

8 comments:

Alireza said...

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH
Hello
I saw your blod but i Did'nt read.My English is not good.
you have nice blog

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Alireza (Reza):

welcome to my blog!

Thanks for the compliment..

hope you come back always

;o)

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

I love E.B Browning. Poem is amazing. However...KNIGHT RIDER???? How in the world does E.B. Browning end up with Hasslehoff lol what a mix

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira:

HasselHoff's character says one verse of the poem to the car and that's it..

that's how it got mixed up...

don't ask me why

lol

;o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali!

Sorry about being remiss - i have been quite the busy bunny!

Back to my usual self though and nocturnal habits ... arhhhh yes the lovely Elizabeth Browning. Such a classic poem, she manages to capture the words just right! Bliss to read it again.

Thanks! :)

Sleepless In Muscat said...

Andromeda:

well, welcome back!

I swear I should make you all have a subscription to keep you all up to date with this blog's daily posts...

hehehe

;o)

And you're right about the poem, it IS beautiful.

and you're quite welcome.

flamin said...

awwww :$


*blush*

beautiful :))

Sleepless In Muscat said...

MD:

awwwwwwwwwwwww

thanks..

;o)