Monday, November 14, 2005

Omani taxi drivers, parking, and one DUMB woman

Situation #1:

It's Sabco centre. I'm approaching my parked car and there's a vacant space being accomodated by a man who works as a taxi driver - just by standing in it, because he wants to reserve the space for his colleage (who happens to be of the same profession). First of all, taxis don't pay for parking because the driver just sits inside the car. Secondly, there is a woman who has been waiting for that space to be vacated for a long while whilst it was being vacated by a previous attendant. As I approach my vehicle, the taxi driver asks if I am pulling out. I abruptly say that I am and I also happen to mention to him that I am not comfortable with the method he is using to get a space for his partner. He shoos me off.

Situation #2:

I am coming back to Starbucks MQ. It's almost 8:40pm. As I enter the parking area that gives you a choice of whether to park at KFC or by Starbucks, I take the left side (the Starbucks side) and I am met by a car stopped in the middle of the brick-road area. I wait. The person behind the wheel of the car decides to move on further but only to stop again because they saw a car trying to move out that they just passed by one parking slot. I am behind this person with another two cars behind waiting. Cleverly, this individual shifts into reverse and backs up the car just a mild spot before my front bumper with the reverse signal still and the indicator to indicate that they want the parking they just missed. I look behind. No room for manouvre. A woman passes by the driver in front, and talks, goes around and looks my way and gestures for me to pull back. Pull back where? On top of the rear car? 'You have space' - I'm not blind woman. I see a gap to the right of the car in front of me and try to make it through. And as I pass by, I recognize whose behind the wheel. A woman. Now this was the first time for me to encounter a woman with this much intelligence. Good thing I didn't step down and give her a piece of my mind. Otherwise, the ROP would have in for the night for 'harrasement'.

Don't you just love these kind of days?

1 comments:

Sleepless In Muscat said...

there is one thing for sure that i know; i love my car, she will never let me down - ever..

and that is why i love driving around in my car that is why i also love listening to the music with the car's system..

;oP