Sunday, April 29, 2007

Indian worker dies of abuse in Malaysia


An Indian worker employed in Malaysia has just died a while back after being brutally abused mentally and physically, if that is the word to be used here.

I would have rather used the term 'torture'.

This man was left without a decent meal for a period of 8 months without anyone knowing the condition or the state how he was being treated by his employer or his employer's family.

"They hit me with sticks, rubber hose and iron rod. I was also deprived of food and water. They chained my hands and legs before locking me up in a dark room in their house every night," he was quoted as saying - Oman Tribune.

It is tragic to see how people seem to see themselves superior to the other races worldwide and not just in this region. I have not heard of any case in the Sultanate of Oman nor in the entire GCC or the Arab world - let alone the Middle East. But to fathom that you can have a stone cold heart to treat another human being in the manner that you only treat dirt and Earth is simply and undeniably a taunting task in itself.

This brings me to the question of how badly we Arabs abuse the Indian labor workforce that work more harder than any Omani I have ever known or seen. How we seem to treat them as trash or low lives just because they have the skills and professions that we can't seem to do on our own because we think too proudly of ourselves.

I've seen people I know - unfortunately for me - that disgust these races as being 'inferior' and 'slaves' to them and treat them with utter disrespect that even I feel sick sitting or standing next to them that I just have to give them a piece of mind.

It's completely infuriating.

And what does anyone do about it?

...nothing.

Boy; are we civilized..

------------------

Links:

- Malaysian employer may face murder charge after death of Indian worker

- Worker 'dies of abuse' in Malaysia

- Report: Malaysian family may face murder charge after abused Indian worker died

-

2 comments:

Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

astaghfirollah!

I just got back from the UAE and one sees too much there...but only if one looks. Most people do not take the time to ask or talk to the workers.

Sleepless In Muscat said...

SS:

Welcome back to the UAE.

And yes, you are right. People unfortunately in this region turn a blind eye to these misfotunate folks who are just as much as we are human beings.

Capitalism seems to have worked its way into our system and in a very sneaky manner.