Friday, October 07, 2005

RESPECT

There's a saying that's always been in my head and I tend to go by it word for word in my day to day life and it says; It is NICE to be IMPORTANT. But it is more IMPORTANT to be NICE.

Nice words. Too true.

But honestly speaking, how many people around you do you find that actually go by that with a similar idea?

My possible guess is none.

I go around in my rounds with my car and all I find is that it's just disrecpectful our society has been nowadays. Children and teens acting like the stuck up people they are because their parents are so & so and they own so & so companies and business or important positions in the Omani government (yes, the answer to your sudden question is: yes I do want to get into trouble for this post). Because let's face it. Their parents are in high positions because they realize the importance of such a thing and the responsibility needed to handle it. Key word being: responsible.

And what goes around comes around.

I sit today at a coffeeshop and someone I know who works there passes by me and I invite him over and we get chatting; then I catch a glimpse of some expatriate teenagers hanging around in a group with skimpy outfits. Skimpy. And I say to this guy how disrespectful they are knowing that Ramadhan is here and how they should show their respect to us natives so we can exchange the same to them and leave them be. And he's like why I should give a damn since they are free to make their own choice of what they want to wear. I told him that freedom doesn't mean to go beyong the limited boundaries especially in a Muslim ruled country. To change the subject I gave him an Arabic newspaper to read and asked him to do so. The guy literally threw the newspaper back into my arms and said "what am I going to do with this? I can't read that damn language".

My blood was boiling all day. I reported it to his big manager but asked him not to take any action on it because it was not in my intention to cut off someone's salary. Especially someone who doesn't understand the culture, my relegion nor the language behind it.

Just remember this where-ever you may go; respect is never given - it's earned.

------

this post has been edited due to a request from the coffeeshop's management

0 comments: